8 slices of raisin toast bread
6 tbsp. of jam
30g butter or margarine
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup sultanas
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or nutmeg
1. Place the eggs, sugar and the vanilla essence into a bowl and then whisk them together.
2. Spread the butter or margarine and jam on the slices of raisin toast and then cut off the crusts.
3. Lay the bread down, buttered side up, onto the bottom of a deep baking tray. Sprinkle all the sultanas evenly over the top. Pour half the egg/sugar mixture over the top so that the bread softens.
4. Lay another pile of bread over the top, but now with the buttered side facing down. Pour the rest of the remaining egg/sugar custard mix over the top then sprinkle with some cinnamon or nutmeg.
5. Stand the baking dish in another one, but a much bigger baking dish and then pour water in the baking dish so that it comes halfway up the sides of the baking dish. This will definitely stop it from over-cooking.
6. Bake it into a moderately hot oven for approximately 40 minutes or even until it stops wobbling.
A friend told me that they have this sometimes with desserts and they love it so they have recommended it to other people and they have come back and said they love it.